An intrauterine device (IUD), also known as a intrauterine contraceptive (IUC), is a small, flexible "T" shaped device that is placed inside of the uterus. These long-acting birth control devices can provide pregnancy prevention for up to 10 years. There are currently two types of IUD's (Mirena & Paragard) available to patients, both of which are small, safe, and highly effective. IUD's can be placed during a routine office visit in a matter of minutes.
Mirena is a soft, flexible IUD that releases small amounts of hormone locally into your uterus. It gives you birth control you can count on for up to 5 years.
- Mirena is more than 99% effective at preventing pregnancy
- You can try to become pregnant as soon as Mirena is removed. Within a year of having Mirena removed, about 8 out of 10 women succeed at becoming pregnant
- Mirena is also proven to reduce heavy periods in women who choose intrauterine contraception.
ParaGard is a soft, copper, flexible IUD that contains no hormones. It's a reliable birth control method that can last up to 10 years.
- 99% effective at preventing prenancy.
- ParaGard is 100% hormone free, thus reducing side effects such as mood swings, weight gain, headaches, and acne.
- ParaGard does not interfere with your natural menstrual cycle.
- Our doctors can remove it at any time if you decide you want to have children.
- FDA-approved. ParaGard has been used by women for over 20 years.
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, call us at