How to Safely Get started in Women’s Bodybuilding

When people imagine bodybuilders they always imagine men, bodybuilding and heavy lifting at the gym have always been dominated by men but now more than ever women have started to take an interest in bodybuilding. Whilst female bodybuilders look amazing and seem glamorous, a lot of people underestimate how much work goes into achieving such an amazing physique, it involves discipline and a very strict diet.

You’ll need to do a lot of research as every individual is different and has different needs, you’ll have to learn the ins and outs of meal prepping, you’ll have to gain an understanding of macros and you’ll have to dedicate a lot of time to the gym from early morning cardio sessions to heave weightlifting sessions. If you start bodybuilding and commit to it you’ll be in great physical shape which will have many health benefits and it’ll also have great mental health benefits as exercise releases dopamine, the feel-good hormone. So, if you think you can handle it and have the willpower to succeed then we’ve found some great tips on how to safely get started.

What is bodybuilding?

Not many people are aware of this but bodybuilding is actually classed as a sport, there is everyday bodybuilding and there is professional bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is the development of muscle through specific exercise and diet techniques, the only difference with professional bodybuilding is its growth for competition purposes. There are 3 main components of bodybuilding: strength training, nutrition, and rest.

Strength Training

Strength training is also known as weight training, this is a vital part of bodybuilding as it causes micro-tears in the muscles that you’re training, after these rip your muscles repair themselves and this is what causes muscle growth. When you’re just starting out you might get confused by how many repetitions and sets of a particular exercise you should perform. If you increase reps and sets this is known as sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, lifting heavier weights is known as myofibrillar hypertrophy and luckily for you, it doesn’t matter which you do, both will help to develop your muscles and both will cause your muscles to grow.

When you start you’ll likely feel sore after every session because it is hard work, if you finish a workout and don’t feel sore then this is a sign that you need to increase your weight or repetitions, if you feel sore then don’t increase them as it can cause burn out. There are many legal ways to help you improve your performance, taking testosterone supplements is a great way to increase your strength quickly, I’ve tested out a variety of testosterone supplements, and rather than give you my opinion there is a full review found at this publication RFT giving you all the details on testosterone supplements.

Nutrition

Whilst most people focus on heavy gym sessions, nutrition is just as important to bodybuilding as weight. If you’re just starting out you may underestimate how important nutrition is but it is vital to success. If you’re trying to build muscle then your body needs more fuel, this means that you have to eat more calories than you burn. You also have to be careful with what you’re eating, a bodybuilder’s macro split is usually 30% protein with the other 70% spread between carbohydrates and fats to ensure your body has the energy to perform.

Rest Days

Rest days are often overlooked by beginners who want to see results as soon as they can. It’s vital to include rest days in your schedule as your muscles need to repair to grow, it is vital that you also sleep 7-9 hours a night whilst working your body so hard.

Write a Comment